Friday, July 28, 2006

the purpose of my hips

i've spent many years wondering why God bestowed upon me - a 6'2" lanky white boy with only a tinge of rythym - such remarkable hips. i couldn't have cut it as a member of the high school dance team. i don't have the build per se of a hula or a belly dancer. and i'm not sure i'd bring in too many dollar bills with my hips at the local male strip club (though i can't say i haven't given consideration to stripping for hire...think tetherball poles, people).

yesterday, i finally figured out the reason, the purpose of my hips:

SALSA!

every thuhrseday night for 6$ at the cherry street bar and grill in denver, a.j. and yolanda - international salsa dance champions extraordinaaire - teach me, kayla, and about 20 other wanna be's the basic afro-cuban salsa steps and shakes. never before (and yes, i've taken dance lessons before...jitterbug from nana in her living room, swing from the little rock bop club at the wyca, etc.) have i been encouraged to shake my moneymaker the way i like to (it just feels natural!), to occasionally separate from my partner and do some pectoral jiggles, to clap, snap, jump, slide, bump, grind, dip, lean, and generally be as sexy as i know i can be...until now. look out, people...this could get dangerous.

(oh, and on top of it all, the cherry street bar looks like it came straight out of Miami Vice. makes me feel like wearing a white suit, a v-neck shirt that reveals my mighty chest hair, and tinted sunglasses...like smoking a smooth cigar and drinking a martini.)
i'm so crazy/sexy/cool it hurts me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so pretty much what you're saying is, your hips don't lie?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Real.Ideal said...

Does this mean I need a new partner? You can't take all the girl moves from me...

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovers... in dangerous times...

So, Denver was a rather enjoyable time. Tell Nic I've acquired a few more associates for our restaurant/bar/microbrewery. We'll be opening next month.

Oh, and I might start one of the blog thingies.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is "it's in the genes"

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home