Monday, February 20, 2006

ski bum

confession: i spent the good part of this weekend (about 15 hours or so) watching t.v.
excuse: the winter olympics are on.
excuse 2: i live in jonesboro, arkansas.

you see, since about the age of 10, i've considered myself more of a displaced ski bum than a true arkansan or southerner or whatever. that's a few years after i first started skiing, and growing up my family and i spent every spring break on the Colo/Utah slopes. maybe i'm not a true ski bum, but i can't be sure because i've never given myself the chance to find out. i tried once, when i was but a homesick little freshman at colorado state, but i didn't even click into skis before i was packing up to come back to arkansas.

but now i'm hell-bent on giving myself another chance. but this season i had other committments (or maybe the desire hadn't resurfaced before making my decision to save some money by moving back to j-town)...so i'm tempering my hunger with doses of the winter olympics. poor bode and rahlves, sucking it up this year...but three cheers for ted ligety. and three more for me in 2007, one in the U.S. in the early part of the year, one more in "summer" in New Zealand (winter again...thank you Southern Hemisphere), and another when I get back to the States at the end of the year, 'cause I'm finally going to follow another childhood dream. Grad school and responsibility calls, but I gotta do some double diamonds before hitting the books again.

Until then...please, NBC, keep these Olympics going for me. It's all I got. Arkansas is cold right now, but it's hard to ski through rice and cotton fields.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

did i know you were blogging? i think this is the first i've heard of it, yo. if i heard sooner, i would have posted on each of your entries thus far. but instead, this is all you get. happy to see you blogging, ski bum. did you know there's skiing in north carolina? yep, but darn expensive sport if you ask me. i am going to buy a bike soon; road bike. so i guess i shouldn't really talk about expenses.

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home